Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 19, 2009

First impressions on a ONE year old

As I lay in my bed tonight, unable to sleep, I watched the clock change from 11:59 to 12:00am, September 20, Wyatt's birthday. I got out of bed and quietly crept into his room. As I leaned over his crib, my head resting on the railing, I rubbed my hand across his back, and through his sandy soft hair. He didn't look differernt, it wasn't as if he suddenly looked more grown up, but to me it felt as if he had just suddenly made that transition, from baby to boy. And I couldn't stop that slight ache deep in my heart from creeping upward. While I am indrecibly proud of my son who is growing and changing every day, I felt sad for all those special baby moments that we're slipping farther and farther away. I had tears in my eyes as I thought about the day he was born, and the day we brought him home from the hospital. I thought about every day and every milestone, every emotion of the past 12 months, and while I feel a little sad now that these days of infancy are behind us, the past 12 months make me beam with pride. My son is amazing. He has grown and changed so much, and changed Justin and I in the process as well. So the tears that filled my eyes as I stood in the darkness of his room were not just tears of sadness. They were tears of joy, of hope, of pride, of anticipation for the future, they were tears for every day I've had with Wyatt and every day to come. I can only hope that every day in the years and years to come are just as rewarding and memorable, and that when I look back old and gray, my eyes fill with tears all over again.
~6 hours old

2 comments:

Cat said...

Absolutely lovely-

The Dunn Family said...

they grow up too fast. if you figure out how to stop time please let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...