Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 9, 2010

Georgia On My Mind

There's something so comforting about walking into the arms of your Grandfather, feeling his embrace, and his kiss on your cheek. That is such a special moment, especially when he is 90 and I know, that those moments are quickly slipping away from me.

Wyatt, Ben and I, along with my Mom, made the journey from Alaska down to Georgia this past week. The flight down was one I wish to never repeat. We caught the red-eye which seemed like a great idea since Wyatt would in theory sleep the whole way. Well that theory didn't really pan out for us and Wyatt stayed up all night. And Ben, even though he slept the whole time, still managed to throw up all over me, I'm sure I smelled wonderful.

Finally after 13 hours of flying, we landed in Atlanta. A sticky humid breeze greeted us as we left the airport, and the wonderful smell of summer filled the air - a smell we have been missing in Fairbanks. Two hours and two very tired kids later, we pulled into the driveway at 1608, a turn that I've always looked forward to almost every summer of my childhood.

At Papa's house, time stops, it's a journey back in time, as nothing has changed in all the years, with the surprising exception of new granite counter tops. But the warm wood walls covered in pictures, and cool brick steps on which I've stubbed my toes many times, all remain the same. And my favorite, Papa's brown leather chair. Papa used to grab us by our ankles and pull us out onto the floor. And nowadays he has moved into the more comfortable rocking chair, which means at night after the kids are asleep, I can curl up into his leather arm chair and stay until my eyes get heavy.





Wyatt was cut out for life in Georgia, picking tomatoes ("Pick mato"), swimming in the pool, and visiting the farm, to Wyatt that is the life. Even when the temperature peaked over the 100 degree mark, Wyatt was still going strong. And Ben, while he just hung out and soaked in the scenes and the sun like Ben does.













We capped off our trip with a visit to the aquarium. I'm pretty sure that this place is Wyatt's version of Heaven. His eyes light up and his feet move oh so quickly. And somehow his little voice gets so loud and excited that you can hear it over the roar of hundreds of people milling about.



And then, it was home again. And every hour of our flight that passed my joy escalated a little more. I couldn't wait to be in the arms of my husband once again.


The sun in our part of the world sure isn't as hot as it is down south, but it suites me just right.



Our trip was wonderful, as any time with Papa is, but now it's home again home again, and I sure do miss his chair!

1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

lol--that last picture cracks me up

i'm glad you had a wonderful trip--ah...you did a great job describing it...made me feel right at home too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...