Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Motherhood

“Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”
- Elizabeth Stone

These words would have not had the same impact on me, just a very short time ago, but the moment I first held my son in my arms, and he fit so perfectly there, wrapped in the crook of my arm, and tears of joy silently slid down my cheeks, I gave a piece of my heart away.




I put that piece of my heart in him, just as every mother has done before me. And it's a piece that can never be returned. No matter where he travels on the road of life, through the hills and valleys, I will be there with him. My heart gave life to his heart, and it's a bond that can be tested and strained, but is in the end, unbreakable.

And as I hold another growing miracle deep within, I am overwhelmed by the feelings of love that are already present, how someone who I have not yet met, already has another piece of my heart. Yet amazingly, my heart feels more whole then it ever has before.




When I was a young girl, I dreamed about the day I would be a Mother. About how I would raise my kids, and what we would do. Simple things, like grocery shopping or picnics at the park, sounded just magical. I dreamed to mother my children, just as my Mom had mothered us. My Mom was an ever constant loving figure in my childhood, and is every bit as much now that I'm grown. She was always there, always busy, and always, making it look so easy to balance four kids, a husband and a household. It's so easy to forget simple things when you are somewhere in the middle of a whirlwind life, yet she never did.



My Mom is my parenting book. My go to resource for all things children related. I am so thankful for her, and for everything she has done for me. She set the tone of motherhood for me, that it wasn't a job, yet a gift. And even though it has far more responsibilities and demands than a 9-5 job, it is far more rewarding, and the pay is a lifetime of love in return...

..Love that no money can buy, but the love that is returned to you, when you give your heart away to your children.

Happy Mother's Day

3 comments:

tbsomeday said...

what a beautiful post and acknowledgement of all your mother's years of hard work and love
you totally look like her btw!

yes--motherhood is am amazing thing...a fierce, lifechanging love that never lets your heart go

MaggieBirdsell said...

Written beautifully! Love the post!

Cat said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...