Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Unexpected Love

Sometimes fate knows just what to drop in your lap to heal your heart...

Justin and I said we wouldn't get another dog until next summer, but we knew we wanted a playmate for Macie. We also weren't sure if we could do another Great Dane since Maggie broke our hearts and this can be typical of the breed. But yesterday, fate decided to intervene.

In our small town it is rare to see Great Danes, even more rare is it to see them for sale, or needing homes. While Saturday night I was browsing craigslist and happened to see a lady that had a puppy that needed to be rehomed due to an unexpected surgery that she needed to have and not being able to take care of her....and it just so happened to be an 8 week old Great Dane puppy.

She said there was a "rehoming fee" but didn't specify. Out of sheer curiosity I emailed her to ask what the fee was. Let's just say that it was way more then Justin and I could think about spending right now on a new dog. So I was honest and told her so. She asked me a few more questions, and we wrote several emails back and forth. She said she had quite a few people interested in here but mainly due to the allure of the breed and no home seemed right so far, yet after talking to me, ours did.

She offered to meet us, so we could see her and see how she did with Wyatt and Macie. Justin and I talked things over, but still we couldn't justify paying that, even though we had paid it for Maggie, we just have more on our plate right now. So once again I told her this, and she said she wanted her to be with us, it felt right, for us to be her forever home, and said if we could pay X(which was a very small fraction of the original price), since she had put a lot into her, that she could be ours and she would give us all of her food, toys, ect.
I felt a little guilty as we drove over to do the meet and greet, like I was letting Maggie down, and it has been such a short time since we lost her. But this just seemed to be fate, and I have a feeling that Maggie had something to do with it.

So without further ado, I present to you the newest member of our family, Lucy.



She is 8 weeks old and full of fire and love.



3 comments:

Noel's Mama said...

Adorable!

Autumn said...

That is so sweet. It brought tears to my eyes.

Emily said...

Lucy is so cute! I'm glad that you were able to get a new dog--it looks like she fits in perfectly with your family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...