Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Minutes, Moments, Memories


Labor day came, and labor day went, the leaves are yellow, and starting to fall. So like we always do this time of year, we headed to the hills to find us some cranberries. And oh boy the cranberries we found.







Plump juicy, crimson cranberries, that walked the line between sweet and tart when you bit into them. Cranberries as far as the eye could see. Me, my boys, and Nana and Papa, spending a beautiful fall afternoon in the woods.

Growing up my grandparents never lived close, and visits were cross country jaunts, usually once a year. And while those type of visits are fun and exciting and full of sugar, that special bond never has time to grow. And as I grew up I always thought I wanted to move. I wanted to try my feet in the water of another ocean. And even though now I am still here in this sleepy little town, and I have dreams of one day trying out life somewhere else, but I am oh so glad that I am right where I am. I am so glad that Wyatt and Ben have the extended family that they do here. And that we can all get together and pass babies around, and laugh and talk, and we don't have to pack up and fly home, we are home.

Wyatt is a different person with his Nana and Papa, they are truly his best friends. No matter how many times we have seen them that week, he's always excited about one more time. He plays, and they play back. They have their special moments that he doesn't share with us, but that's what makes it so special.

And when we were out berry picking, my little Ben was passed between his Nana and Papa, snug on their chests in his carrier. Content to have his head resting, listening to a familiar heart beating, smelling their familiar smell. And my fireball was with his best friends. And I wandered. I walked through the woods, crouching down to pick handfuls of berries and drop them into my bucket, admiring the color palette of fall, and the warm sun on the back of my neck. All the while, listening to the banter back and forth, coming from up the road. "Nana, where are?" As Wyatt "hid" under the branches of spruce trees. And every now and then a bear growl, followed by Wyatt giggling and saying "Papa" in a tone that implied "come on I know it's you!"

It makes my heart sing to see the love between them. A bond like I never had. And I never imagined what I wanted between my kids and my parents, but I believe this is just it. Comfort, fun, memories...love.



Family is a glue that holds us together. They never care that your baby is crying, or that your makeup isn't done, they're are just happy that you are there. And everyday I am happy, that we live right where we live, with our family.


And with fall comes this...absolutely beautiful...

1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

ah, what a beautiful life and what beautiful pictures!
reading your posts is always refreshing :)

i never got a chance to comment on your photography post b/c of lack of time
but i wanted to let you know i think it's a wonderfully perfect career for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...