Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

That's Life

It's gone. And I don't know when it happened, where I was at, who was saying this and what dog was stealing what, but it's gone. Summer. I gave in willingly to fall several weeks ago, only because fall was being an ever so gentle being this year, coming in slowly with warm winds and lingering 70 degree heat. But now it's gone. It's 40 degrees. My poor sunflowers never had a chance. Seven feet tall, and not a single bloom had opened. Now they are wilted and weak, drooping lifeless. The morning frost did not agree with their rough green leaves and so they hang pointed at the ground.

Wyatt had to wear pants today, recently most days have become clothing optional for him. Not only did he have pants, but shirt, socks, underwear, shoes and a coat. Yep, coat. Goodbye summer, fall is fading, hello Alaskan winter. A few leaves are still clinging to the trees, their sunshine yellow hue makes me hopeful for at least a 60 degree day, but I think that hope is all that is left. Time to pack up the toys, rake up the leaves, and turn up the heat.

It's times like this I wish I had a fireplace to curl up in front of with a soft blanket and a warm arm wrapped around my shoulder, and maybe a little or two in my lap. If only. Instead, tonight we settled for a warm bath. Daddy was at work so it was me and the boys splashing in the tub. Drawing big A, little A on the cream colored ceramic tile with bath crayons, and blue and red airplanes, because those start with big A, little A and listening to a little voice repeat "ah ah airplane" over and over to little Ben, I'm sure with hope that he would say it right back.

I left Wyatt in the bath to splish and splash while I wrapped my Ben up in a towel and laid him on my king size bed, little Ben, and a whole lotta bed. I kissed his full squishy belly, and a little smile worked its way across his face. So I kissed again, and I worked my way up to his neck and kissed kissed kissed and made funny little noises as I tickled him. And then I heard the most wonderful sound, a sound that can make the stress of the whole day just melt away and disappear...my little Ben laughed. His very first laugh.



That laugh made me forget that I was feeling a little down about the fact that in only two days of being two, my boy's new favorite thing to utter is "no no no." But then, in walked Wyatt leaving a trail of wet footprints in his wake. Happy about his successful bath escape. I told him he needed to dry off, and just like it was programmed into him and I had pushed a button, he told me "no no no Mama, no towel." I guess that is two. But just like how a brightly colored band aid and a kiss from Mom can make a bruised knee heal, my boy climbed up on the bed, gave his baby Ben a quick hug and asked to hear "Wyatt born" and I felt better all over again.




That's life. The ups and the downs, the hot and the cold. somewhere in there you find the right balance, the sweet little spot that makes your world spin. And you don't dare change a thing for fear that your world will spin off it's axis like an out of control top. But then again, that's life too. And if that's what life is going to throw my way some days, a lotta crazy with a little sane, I'll take it, because baby, that's life.


And a little thought about life that was shared with me, that I'm still trying to wrap my head around..

"Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others...for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is built upon the labors of people, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received.” Albert Einstein

Well said Albert, well said..

1 comment:

tbsomeday said...

always such beautiful posts :)
great photographer and writer

ah the day after my little girl turned two she woke up with "no" seeming to be her only means of communication
it was almost comical--until it wasn't :)

love the albert quote!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...